Ted Smith – Barrels In Peace

The WindanSea community recently lost a brother, uncle, and dear friend.

Ted Smith passed away surfing the wave he loved on New Years Eve, 2011.  He was with close friends in the water when he had a sudden heart attack.  The community came together to celebrate his life with a bonfire at the shack shortly after his passing.

I’ve known Ted since before I can remember, and he was one of the coolest guys ever.  He was so stoked and positive.  No matter what was going on in life, he wore a smile and looked at the bright side.  Everyone was always happy to see him.

Ted surfed really good, always rode a shortboard, and looked for the barrel.  One Christmas morning years ago, I watched Ted surf perfect, sunny, glassy WindanSea better than anyone else in the lineup.  He got barreled ten times before walking up the beach with a huge smile.  That’s one of the many awesome memories I’ll always have of him.

Ted’s spirit will live on at WindanSea forever.  Rest in peace my brother.

This entry was posted in Travel Blog. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Ted Smith – Barrels In Peace

1. Cheryl says:

We worked together for many years! You will be greatly missed.

2. Kevin McCallum says:

Thanks Monster, so many awesome memories. We have been so lucky to have Ted in our life.

3. scott boaz says:

one of my dear dear friends. going to be missed greatly by all of us. don’t quite have the words and that doesn’t happen often. remember surfing a huge day at the cove with him and my friend tad . i was stroking for this monster and there was ted on the shoulder screaming yeah scott go buddy yeah yeah! there was no way in the world i was gonna hair out and let ted down!

4. Michael says:

The WindanSea community has lost a gentle soul. We are all richer for knowing Ted. He left us doing what he loved — surfing WindanSea with his crew. The lineup won’t be the same without Ted.

5. Jason Hallquest says:

Hi Guys, Weepy for days now….not seeing Ted in the lineup will be hard on all of us that knew and loved him, but I know he surfs on and that our lives are richer for knowing him. That day at Middles, then over to our favorite right, and up to the Shack for laughs- remember Ted? The stiff leg tail stall for the barrel , to that classic roundie on the Rdot pintails- Man! You live and surf on in my mind always, rest in peace my friend…
    Jason

6. sharon says:

Beautiful tribute John. Ted is loved and Sunday was proof! Thank you.