Mosquitoes are buzzing everywhere as I write this post, but I’ve only been bitten once. Hanging in a dank area of Tahiti for a month – without good mosquito repellent I’d be a disaster.
After contracting a deadly strain of Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever from a mosquito on Lombok Island, Indonesia, last year, I’ve become more proactive in defending against virus carrying insects.
Out of the many repellents on the market, Sawyers Jungle Juice is probably the best. Not sure how good 98% DEET is for you, but can guarantee it’s better than coming down with dengue or malaria in and isolated region of a third world country.
Field-tested Sawyer Jungle Juice 100 Insect Repellent is 98 Percent DEET and comes in a 2.5 fl. oz bottle. It offers proven effectiveness against pesky bugs for up to 10 hours.
– Protects exposed skin areas against mosquitoes, chiggers, fleas, gnats and ticks.
– A little goes a long way so use sparingly—only 4 – 6 drops per application.
– Can be applied to shoes, socks and clothing for extra protection against chiggers and ticks; DEET should not damage cotton, wool or nylon.
– Stuff’s pretty toxic so do not apply to open wounds, around the eyes, or near fibers such as acetate, rayon, spandex or other synthetics; keep away from furniture, plastic, watch crystals, leather and painted or varnished surfaces.
– Contains Maxi-DEET® formula of 98.11% DEET with 1.89% other ingredients.
Made in USA.